What Does the Bible Say about Being Good People and Getting to Heaven?
Why should you care about “salvation”, or be concerned about whether or not you can be good enough to get into heaven? You have been given this life on earth to determine your eternal destiny, and this is not something that can be put off till after your death. If your current life determines your hereafter life, when you get to your hereafter life, your destiny is determined already.
- John 3:18 No one who has faith in God's Son will be condemned. But everyone who doesn't have faith in him has already been condemned for not having faith in God's only Son.
The Bible tells us is that none of us can be “good” enough to get into heaven.
- Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
What the Bible says is that God provided salvation for us freely, knowing that there was nothing we could possibly do to be good enough.
- Romans 5:8 But God showed how much he loved us by having Christ die for us, even though we were sinful.
- Ephesians 2:8-9 You were saved by faith in God, who treats us much better than we deserve. This is God's gift to you, and not anything you have done on your own. (9) It isn't something you have earned, so there is nothing you can brag about.
- Romans 4:1-5 Well then, what can we say about our ancestor Abraham? (2) If he became acceptable to God because of what he did, then he would have something to brag about. But he would never be able to brag about it to God. (3) The Scriptures say, "God accepted Abraham because Abraham had faith in him." (4) Money paid to workers isn't a gift. It is something they earn by working. (5) But you cannot make God accept you because of something you do. God accepts sinners only because they have faith in him.
The Bible also says that all we have to do is believe, and tell others, and we will have eternal life.
- Romans 10:9-10 So you will be saved, if you honestly say, "Jesus is Lord," and if you believe with all your heart that God raised him from death. (10) God will accept you and save you, if you truly believe this and tell it to others.
- 1 John 5:11-13 God has also said that he gave us eternal life and that this life comes to us from his Son. (12) And so, if we have God's Son, we have this life. But if we don't have the Son, we don't have this life. (13) All of you have faith in the Son of God, and I have written to let you know that you have eternal life.
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
- John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
The Bible says that there is only one way to obtain eternal life.
- John 14:6 "I am the way, the truth, and the life!" Jesus answered. "Without me, no one can go to the Father.
Does this mean that the Bible says we can just believe that Jesus died for us, we have eternal life, and can do whatever we want to? How about we use a little common sense here? Of course not. If we believe what Jesus did was the ultimate sacrifice for us, then we would want to do good things, right? Besides, we all know via our conscience what is good and what is bad, and we innately want to do what is good. But this goodness is not enough to get us into heaven, and we make a grave mistake if we think that.
- James 2:14 My friends, what good is it to say you have faith, when you don't do anything to show that you really do have faith? Can that kind of faith save you?
- James 2:18 Suppose someone disagrees and says, "It is possible to have faith without doing kind deeds." I would answer, "Prove that you have faith without doing kind deeds, and I will prove that I have faith by doing them."
- James 2:26 Anyone who doesn't breathe is dead, and faith that doesn't do anything is just as dead!
- Titus 3:8 This message is certainly true. These teachings are useful and helpful for everyone. I want you to insist that the people follow them, so that all who have faith in God will be sure to do good deeds.
Does this mean that we just do good works and eternal life is our reward? No, eternal life is a free gift, not the result of our works. However, our works will have a reward.
- Rev 22:12 Then I was told: I am coming soon! And when I come, I will reward everyone for what they have done.
What is at stake, if you chose to ignore this message? You really do not want to wait till after your death to figure this out.
- Psalms 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
- Psalms 86:12-13 I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore. (13) For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.
If you would like to receive and trust Christ as your personal Savior, you may want to express your faith in Christ by the following prayer:
Dear God, I know I’m a sinner and that nothing I do can gain heaven or eternal life. I believe Jesus Christ died for me and rose from the grave. Right now I receive Him as my personal Savior by trusting in Him alone as my only way to heaven. Thank you for giving me eternal life through faith in your Son.
If you prayed this prayer and truly trusted in the person of Jesus Christ and His death for your sin, then you have been born anew into the family of God. You are now one of God’s children by faith in the Savior.